The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has refuted claims that terrorist groups have established operational bases in Nigeria’s South-West region, describing recent incidents in Oyo State as isolated criminal acts.
The clarification was made on Tuesday by the Director of Defence Media Operations, Maj.-Gen. Michael Onoja, in a statement issued in Abuja.
According to Onoja, the Armed Forces are intensifying operations aimed at rescuing victims abducted during the recent attack on schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.
He said the Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Olufemi Oluyede, had extended condolences to the Oyo State Government and families affected by the attack.
The defence spokesman condemned the abduction of students and school staff, assuring Nigerians that military authorities were deploying all available resources to ensure the victims’ safe rescue.
“The full weight of the Armed Forces is being brought to bear to ensure the safe return of all abducted victims,” Onoja stated.
He urged citizens to remain calm and cooperate with security agencies by providing timely and credible intelligence.
Onoja disclosed that troops had earlier conducted extensive clearance operations in the Old Oyo National Park, where criminal groups operating within the area were neutralised.
He stressed that current intelligence assessments did not support reports alleging the presence of a structured terrorist network in the South-West.
“The incident in Oyo State remains an isolated criminal act and does not indicate the presence of an entrenched insurgent structure in the region,” he said.
The DHQ also warned against the spread of narratives capable of generating fear or emboldening criminal elements.
According to Onoja, troops have already established contact with the abductors and are sustaining pursuit operations across forest areas linked to the attack.
He added that joint security operations involving military personnel, other security agencies and local vigilante groups were ongoing to track down the perpetrators and restore peace in the affected communities.
The military spokesman emphasised that cooperation from local communities remained crucial, particularly through the sharing of useful intelligence that could support rescue efforts.
He assured Nigerians that the Armed Forces would continue operations until all abducted victims were safely rescued and those responsible brought to justice.
