Joint Troops Overrun Bandits’ Den in Kogi, Free Captives

 

A joint operation involving Nigerian security agencies and local vigilantes successfully destroyed three major bandits’ camps on Sunday in Kogi.

Information commissioner Kingsley Fanwo, in a statement in Lokoja, said the camps, which were located in Kogi West, were led by a notorious bandit leader, Kachalla Babangida.

According to Mr Fanwo, the operation, supported by air strikes and ground engagements, neutralised scores of bandits and rescued kidnap victims.

“Notorious bandit leader Kachalla Babangida’s camps were attacked with superior firepower, neutralising scores of bandits through coordinated air strikes and ground engagements. The camps were destroyed, and previously held kidnap victims were rescued,” Mr Fanwo said.

He said the Kogi government has moved the rescued victims to medical facilities for treatment and will later transfer them to IDP camps before reuniting them with their families.

Mr Fanwo noted that the state security adviser, Jerry Omodara, praised the officers’ bravery and assured continued government support in eliminating banditry and terrorism.

He disclosed that the operation involved personnel from the Office of the National Security Adviser, the 12 Brigade of the army, the navy, NAF, the police, the State Security Service, and local vigilantes.

Mr Fanwo said, ” The government will not disclose further details on camp locations, neutralised bandits and rescued victims for security reasons.”

The Kogi government thanked President Bola Tinubu for his commitment to curbing banditry and terrorism and commended the security agencies and local hunters for their dedication.

Mr Fanwo said that Governor Ahmed Ododo remains committed to ensuring Kogi is safe, “sparing no resources to achieve this goal”.

(NAN)

Leave a Reply